Lincoln's Birth Story

On March 21st I had a midwife appointment and at this point I was almost 2 weeks overdue and it didn't look like things were going to happen on there own my midwife had done 2 stretch and sweeps and it hadn't done anything so we decided an induction was the best way to go. Because I had a c-section with Silas things were considered a little bit more risky with going over due so we wanted to get this ball rolling. I was a little disappointed because I was hoping for a home birth and was really not wanting to have to be induced. But at the same time I was happy to hopefully be getting this baby out soon! 

March 22nd 7:30 a.m. we were scheduled to be induced. I had been having some contractions the previous week but nothing that would stay or be consistent. That morning I hadn't been having any. 
We arrived at the hospital on the way in I said "it is hard to believe we will be walking out of this hospital with a baby!" Little did I know that would not be the case. We got into the hospital and the Dr. that was going to be inducing me came and checked on me and also did a stretch and sweep again, I was at 2 cm which I had been since my midwife checked me over a week before that. 

Then she informed us that all the rooms were full and she asked us to go home and they would call us in a few hrs when a room had opened. So we walked out of the hospital with no baby...a little dishearten but still hope that in a few hrs we would be back to get things going. But a few hrs went by and no call...and then a few more hrs and still no call. I started having a few random contractions through out the day but nothing that told me I was in labor. Evening came and still no call. At this point I felt as though this baby was going to stay inside me forever and may have had a little bit of a meltdown :) 
BUT God knew what he was doing, and now I am more grateful then ever that I was not able to be induced that day.
 Around 6 p.m. contractions were becoming more regular. I still didn't think that I was in labor...even though they were coming consistently every  3-5 mins at this point.

At 7ish I called my midwife to see if she had heard anything from the hospital to see if we would still be going in that evening or not. She said that they were still wanting to get me in but not to wait up for a call. I told her hopefully we wouldn't need it as my contractions were coming pretty steady.

I was still in denial that I was in labor. I think because I felt like it wasn't going to happen so when it actually did start I had a hard time believing it was real. 9pm our midwife called to let us know that the hospital would not have room till morning, we then let her know that contractions were still going strong so she told us that she would come check on me.
She got to our place around 10pm and checked me and I was dilated to 4cm!! I couldn't believe it, what an answer to prayers!! So she called the other midwife and they got all there stuff set up, I was in labor and I felt like this home birth thing was once again a possibility.

I labored all night having contractions every 3-4 mins and they got more and more intense as the night went on. Things were not progressing as fast as they would like so around 5:50am they broke my water and at that point I was 6-7 cm after that contractions were 2-3 mins apart and back labor was in full force!

They checked me again 12 pm and I was still at 7cm, at that point I felt very discouraged and so done! I had been having extremely bad back labor and felt as though it was doing nothing with no progress. 

The midwives had talked it over and we decided that because of the lack of progress it might be best to go into the hospital and get an epidural for a bit of rest. And because this was a vbac it would be best to be at the hospital at this point with so little progress.
So at 12:15pm we were on our way! We got to the hospital and about half hour I got an epirdural which I was more then ready for!! Not long after that baby's heart rate took a couple of dips and in my mind it was looking like it might end up in a c-section. But thankfully it went back up and stayed good after that.

Contractions were still coming strong even with the epidural and I was feeling a ton of pressure. I was thankful for the epidural cause it was bad with it, I can't imagine how it would have felt without one!! :) The midwives decided to check me once again and to all our excitement I was at 9cm! Now I was really excited but also not at the same time because with Silas I was at 9cm for 12hrs...so you could see why I still wasn't seeing an end in sight!

About an hour after I was 9cm they checked me again and I was at 10cm...at this point I didn't know what to feel...I did it, I really did it!!! I made it to 10cm now all I had to do was push this baby out. Henry asked how long it could take for me to push and the midwife said because I had never done it before it could take up to 2 hrs. So in my head I prepared myself for still awhile till we would meet him. BUT....his heart rate started dipping quite low and it was a GET THIS BABY OUT NOW situation. I have never felt so pressured to do something...knowing that my baby's life depended on me! So I pushed with everything in me and 16 mins and a 3rd degree episiotomy  later at 5:09pm Lincoln Cole was born!

It was such an amazing experience and all the pain was so worth it! God's hand was there through it all and I am so thankful how everything turned out!

After I was able to walk (hello jello legs) we left the hospital around midnight, got some McDonald's cause we were both starving and that was the only thing open and headed home.
Lincoln has been such a good baby, we are so blessed.

And I couldn't have done it without this guy! He was right there beside me, encouraging me, reminding me to breath, telling me I could scream if I wanted to :) He stayed up all night and all day with me, so very thankful for his support!! At the end when I was pushing hearing him cheer me on was what got me to the finish line. He is my hero. And this past week in the healing process has been by my side and taken such good care of all of us! I love him and so thankful I get to live life with him! :)

And a huge shout out to our midwives!
They were all amazing and so supportive and made this experience the best it could be!


  1. Congrats, Megan! You are a strong woman. :) Sweet pictures. <3

  2. God is awesome!!! Congratulations! :)

  3. Praise God! I'm so impressed by your strength and perseverance! These little ones are all worth it though aren't they!