10.10.13

Making Salsa

 I must admit, I had a bit of a hard time motivating myself to make salsa. But after planting and taking care of my garden I knew I couldn't let all those veggies go to waste. If I didn't like homemade salsa so much those tomato's and peppers would probably still be sitting in the garden but because I knew that the end result would be rather delightful I gathered all the ingredient and made me some salsa! :)





Chop chop chop!

There were a few tears that were shed, but only well cutting the onions :) 


The house was filled with the smell of salsa...for about a week :) 

3 jars of homemade salsa was the end result. This is the first canning I have done since getting married, maybe in the future I will do more but as for now I am happy for my 3 jars of salsa :) 



Salsa
8 cups tomatoes
3 cups chopped onions
2 green peppers
2 red peppers
4 jalapeno peppers (no seeds unless you want it hot)

1 cup vinegar
2/3 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp. salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1-13 oz. tin tomato paste

4 Tbsp. cornstarch
-Cut veggies 3/8 inch thick or blend in food processor until veggies are slightly chopped
-Add vinegar, sugar, pepper, Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce
.-Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes
-Add tomato paste and simmer for 20 minutes
-Mix cornstarch with a little water (until pourable) and add to salsa mixture. Simmer 10 minutes
-Pour into hot jars and give them a 10 minute hot water bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment